Featured Post

The Hardest Thing I have Ever Done

It is quiet.  The air is still. I hear a soft pounding in my chest and my feet on the asphalt.  My heart reminds me of the task at hand: kee...

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

A Slow End to the Year...but also a PR!

Well, I see I have not had a post since August.  I'll tell you why.

After training my butt off (quite literally, actually as I am fitting 2 sizes smaller than the beginning of the year), I opted to run the Half Marathon at Oregon instead of the Full.  This came for several reasons.

The first is that I am sensitive to heat, as you know if you have been reading.  My coach even warned against the Full, pointing out that there is hardly any shade along the course.  So I ran the half and I thought I would get a PR but I missed it by a few minutes.  Still, it was hot and so I was glad that I had opted to run the Half.

Then, being all trained up and nowhere to run, I started looking for a Full Marathon where I could cash in on my long miles.  I tried to get into Portland but they weer only taking fundraisers.  Coach said I might be able to get the team to contribute, but in the end I did not run Portland.  I was glad too as it ended up being in the 80s that morning.  Hot!

There was talk about Victoria, and I wish that I had gone there because my coach actually ended up participating (and it is sort of a dream to be able to run or walk or even participate with him--Joe Henderson is a legend!)  But the long and short of it is that I did not finish the year with another Full Marathon.  And that was okay.

I did end up running two more Halfs.  The Silver Falls Half, which had been on my bucket list for quite some time.  And the Run To Stay Warm, where I PRed.  So I started the year with a Half Marathon PR at McKenzie River Half (2:09:11) and I finished the year with a new PR at RTSW (2:07:45).

What's up for 2015?  Well, I am all signed up for Eugene for the Full Marathon on May 10.  I'll be running the McKenzie River Half again, I am almost sure.  I'd like to get a few more official trail runs in AND I think I might do an overnight hike and try to cover some distance in the local Cascades.  We will see.  On thing is certain, though.  I'll keep moving as long as I can.

Here I am at the Silver Falls Half, excited to run under my first waterfall of the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment