Featured Post

The Hardest Thing I have Ever Done

It is quiet.  The air is still. I hear a soft pounding in my chest and my feet on the asphalt.  My heart reminds me of the task at hand: kee...

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Running in the Desert

I realize that it has been a very long time since my last blog.  There is good reason for that.  My family has --temporarily-- relocated to Mesa, Arizona.  There were some logistics involved in that feat and the blog took the back burner.  During that time, I continued to run.  I continued to have MS.  In fact, I ran another half marathon (the Run To Stay Warm, November 2012) while continuing to have MS, just like all of my runs.  Then, in December, we loaded up the kids, cat and canine and headed south for sunshine and sabbatical.

Since our arrival, I have attempted a few short runs in the early morning.  My husband has been along for most of these and I would like to add what a pleasure it is to run with him.  In fact, it has been a great joy to spend this wonderful time with him, getting to know our desert and community, showing our children around the grand Sonoran, and experiencing and new home together.

Today Dave and I went for a quick run after dropping the girls off at school.  It was brisk but not too cold and we went along at a leisurely pace.  We began at Freestone Park and soon found the canal path.  How like a child Dave was when he spooked the fat carp in the dark water as we moved along.  I chuckled to myself as he commented each time one "swarped."  Later he would talk about getting Arizona fishing licenses so we could practice fly casting in the canal.  So silly!  But he was serious.  I was winded.  We walked a stretch admiring the scenery.  Even there in town, it was nice.

Truth be told, I have been romanced by this nice weather.  In Eugene, Oregon today they had freezing rain.  I do not miss freezing rain.  I do not miss running in rain so cold it feels freezing.  Nope.  Instead, I plodded along next to my husband enjoying the blue sky above and the strange desert birds fluttering around.  I felt peaceful and wonderful.

After the run, as we stretched, I thought a lot about why I felt wonderful.  Here's what I came up with:

This man that I chose to share my life with has made all the difference.  Sure, I don't always feel that way.  I become petty and impatient and down-right angry.  Who wouldn't when you spend the amount of time with the same person that Dave and I do.  Strong matter can be the most abrasive.  But I am also overjoyed, grateful and totally and completely awe-stricken by this man that is my husband.  He has been the best father for our children, the best friend to me, an amazing coach and sideline fan for my running and my biggest advocate during my times of illness with the MS and other issues.  I never told him he had to hold me at night when the shaking wouldn't stop, get up and get the tylenol so the side effects from the interferon would subside, sit next to me all night at the ER when he had to get on a plane the next day for his job interview at UO.  Still, he did those things.  He didn't balk or hesitate. Imagine that.

Dave said once that all he wanted was "to be a good man."  Honestly, who says that?  He didn't say it as a result of being caught doing something terrible or ill conceived.  It wasn't a desperate act to win my attention or affection by offering something insincere.  No.  He was simply stating what he wanted, what he prayed for, something that he hoped he could someday become.  What amazed me- amazes me still is that by wanting to be that type of person, he was already well on his way.

And today, and I am the luckiest gal in the whole wide world that I get to run in the desert with him. And I was lucky to run with him in the freezing rain.  And I will still be lucky to be with him wherever we might end up.  I go where he goes ...and here we are now, running in the desert, grateful for our surroundings, our family and each other.   You ARE a good man, Dave.  I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment