Featured Post

The Hardest Thing I have Ever Done

It is quiet.  The air is still. I hear a soft pounding in my chest and my feet on the asphalt.  My heart reminds me of the task at hand: kee...

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

An Open Letter to my Family

Hi Family

I have 2 reasons for this email:

1) to make you all aware that earlier this year the doctor found another lesion in my brain when they did my annual MRI.

and

2) to let you know about my MS fundraiser.

At this point, the doctor is not extremely concerned about the test results, though he has moved my next scan up 6 months.  Still, it is a little disconcerting when I have not had any changes in my disease since I was first diagnosed some 7 years ago.  Until recently, we thought I had a benign form of MS.  Now there is reason to believe I have active disease.

We have talked about me starting up on the medication again, that terrible stuff that made me super sick.

There is some hope, though.  Since going off of the injections nearly 18 months ago, 2 more drugs have been released by the FDA.  One is an infusion therapy that is only taken once a month.  The other is oral.  Yes, oral!!  They each have pretty nasty side affects, but still, it's better than regular injections with site reactions (my legs and tummy were purple and green).

Anyway, I wanted to tell you all about the new drugs because these news forms of medication are a direct result of contributions to places like the MS Society.  No joking. This is actually a disease where you can see results of such charitable contributions in the strides that are being made in the treatment, and maybe one day even, the cure!

So, I am running a marathon in just a few short days.  I have been blogging about it on my blog and keep track of my progress.  I will wear my MS Orange running singlet that says on the front "I HAVE MS."  This is the same shirt I wore in Portland.  Only this time it will be adorned with the names of everyone who contributed to my fundraiser.  Each contribution could mean the difference between me running another race or even dancing with my kids at their weddings someday. 

I hope you would consider giving something, if even a few dollars.  I know these are tough times so it is okay if you cant contribute.  Also, if you think of anyone else who might want to help, please forward this to them.  It is easy to make a contribution.  Just follow this link and click where it says to:

http://www.crowdrise.com/rhondasrunformultiplesclerosis/fundraiser/rhondazimlich#top

I will wear your name on my shirt on 4/29 and in my heart for all time.  I am humbled to ask, but seeing the medical progress that has been made in these few short years with contributions just like yours, I can't help myself.  Each dollar makes a direct difference in the research and results...and maybe a cure.

Thanks so much.  And thank you to those of you who have already contributed.  Be sure to watch my progress on 4/29 on Facebook.  It will update as I cross section of the 26.2 miles.  Regardless, I'll be thinking of you all as I run.

Love to you all.

-Rhonda

p.s.  Here is my blog: http://rhonda-zimlich.blogspot.com/2012/04/eugene-marathon-asks.html

No comments:

Post a Comment