Featured Post

The Hardest Thing I have Ever Done

It is quiet.  The air is still. I hear a soft pounding in my chest and my feet on the asphalt.  My heart reminds me of the task at hand: kee...

Monday, April 9, 2012

Counting The Steps

Saturday this last weekend, we ran 21 miles.  It was fun.  If someone would have told me a year ago that I would have put together a 21 mile run and also called it 'fun' I would have told them they were crazy.  Still, there we were, trucking along the old familiar route out along the Willamette.  I had a much stronger finish than I had a mid-section run.  My mile 15 to about 18 was bogged down with heavy thoughts of fatigue and failure.  Here's what I did to get over it:

I started counting my footfalls.  1, 2, 3, 4... as the right foot hit the ground.  All the way to 100 and then over again.  When I was sure I had hit at least 500 (more likely 700 or 800) I started counting the number of footfalls on my left foot.

Maybe this seems silly, tedious, boring, but it was just the thing I needed to distract me from my fatigue.  By mile 19, I was feeling strong again.  I ran the last few miles smiling and was happy to finish sure-footed.

Morale of the story: sometimes monotony prevails!

No comments:

Post a Comment