Featured Post

The Hardest Thing I have Ever Done

It is quiet.  The air is still. I hear a soft pounding in my chest and my feet on the asphalt.  My heart reminds me of the task at hand: kee...

Friday, March 16, 2012

MS Week Comes to a Close

So, even though MS Month goes on for the entire month of March, MS Week itself comes to a close with me running a 9 miler with my team this Sunday, followed by a 5K in the afternoon called the 2012 Jog Your Brain (not related to MS Week, but connected in the Kevin Bacon sense).  I have a new brain scientist friend named Christina who turned me on to the race.  I hope some others will come out to play.  They have  kids run, too!

Here's how I celebrated MS Week:

Monday, I sulked a bit (honest) but by Tuesday, I felt better.  I reposted my fund raiser and my mom made a nice donation (thanks MOM! I love you!)  Wednesday, I ran 12 miles and that was good.  It was tough, but good.  I also filled out my March Madness bracket.  Again, tough, but good. Thursday, I got a note from Emily, my good friend (also organizer of the MS Stingers team in San Diego last year) telling me that Niagra Falls was painted orange for MS Week.  Very cool!

Thursday, I also went shoe (window) shopping with my friend Judy.  We tried on outrageous shoes and we laughed a bunch!  There was no such thing as sulking.  She has that effect on me.  And then today, I ran another 4 miles...only I ran today in my old Brooks and not my Asics.  Hmmm.  They felt really good.  Also, for the first time in a long time my legs felt strong.  Maybe the fatigue was all in my head (that means something in multiple ways for someone like me [a little brain humor]).

Anyway, we're finishing today up with a blanket fort in Gabriella's room and then movie night on the laptop in said blanket fort.  That's all I need today...maybe some popcorn, too.

Just so you know, since I was first diagnosed with MS, they have developed new medicines that have really made a difference in the way people deal with this chronic illness (caution, I am about to ask for your money).  There is even an oral medication now and there was not one just a few years ago when I was telling my doctor about my needle phobia.  This is a direct result of contributions to organizations like the MS Society.  I actually have a fund raiser set up that correlates with my marathon run coming this April.  You can contribute if you want.  It is super easy.  If you do, I will wear your name on my shirt for all of the 26.2 miles (though I am tempted to pull a a Brandi Chastaine at the end : )  Here's the link to my fund raiser (not to the sports bra incident):


http://www.crowdrise.com/rhondasrunformultiplesclerosis/fundraiser/rhondazimlich#top

Please know that your dollars have made a direct and immediate difference and will continue to help so many.  I believe in my heart that MS is more than treatable, perhaps even curable.  How long has it been since we cured a disease?  We're close.  Be a part of it.  We can't do it alone.

I hope you have had an amazing MS Week...as amazing as mine!  Or even more so!!  And may you all have many more amazing MS Weeks with mobility and family and friends and so much more.  It's the most wonderful time of the year!

1 comment:

  1. My *first* first place at the Jog Your Brain 5K event. Take THAT m.s.!

    ReplyDelete