Featured Post

The Hardest Thing I have Ever Done

It is quiet.  The air is still. I hear a soft pounding in my chest and my feet on the asphalt.  My heart reminds me of the task at hand: kee...

Sunday, August 14, 2011

8 Mile

This morning we ran 8 miles and my calves never quite stopped hurting.  I got to the 4 mile point, just barely trudging along.  When I turned to head back in the direction I came, I saw Jeanette coming up the way, running on bad heels.  The run last week had her hobbling in on blisters and prayers.  I thought, what the heck am I whimpering about.  If Jeanette can get out here a week later and do this with a smile on her face, I ought to be grateful for my sore calves.

The thing is, though, sometimes we have to have bad days.  Today was not a good day for me.  I didn't even listen when the coach announced my time on the way in.  I was neck-and-neck with Jeanette coming in and she was pretty stoked to beat me.  I just wanted to get it over with, though I was pushing to at least finish strong. I went right into Eugene Running Company and purchased a massager called 'The Stick."  This was recommended by the Physical Therapist and I hope it will do better than my rolling pin on these sore calves.

So, the moral of the story is, it's okay to not have the best run each time.  I am sure there is more in there than that, but right now, through the stiffening muscles, that's all I can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment